step by step on how to cook garden egg stew
Garden Egg is botanically called Solanum melongena. It is a fruit belonging to the Solanaceae or Nightshade Family and is native to India and Africa but cultivated worldwide. Garden egg can be eaten in combinations like garden egg and fried groundnut as well as the special garden egg sauce.
Garden egg is rich in the following Carbohydrates, protein, fat, dietary fibre and surprisingly so sugar.
Vitamin K, Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin E (Alpha-tocopherol), Folate, and Niacin are among the vitamins present (Vitamin B9)
They also include minerals like zinc, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus, so the advantages aren’t done yet.
Now that we have a good understanding of the nutritional benefits of garden eggs, let’s look at the recipe to make this filling fruit into a delicious supper with yam.
The greatest sauce for boiled white yams may very well be sauce.
Because of the palm oil, boiling yams enjoy it.
Vegetable oil can also be used to prepare it, although we do not advise it.
To learn more, keep reading.
8 big garden eggs
Salt and 2 seasoning cube to taste
1 cup palm oil
2 small fish smoked or dry
1 small ogiri okpei (iru)
Before You Cook Garden Egg Sauce
1. Wash and remove the garden egg stalk, and get ready to blend this can be done in 3 ways.
Chop the garden eggs into small pieces and blend till smooth.
The second option is if you do not want it smooth, use a mortar and pestle to do that. First, boil some water in a pot and put in the garden eggs to cook till it’s soft and mash-up in the mortar.
The third option is to cut up the garden eggs into small pieces and put them in a pot with water equivalent to the chopped garden eggs, then cook till soft. Pour in a sieve and mash up with a fork.
- Chop the onions into pieces
- In the mortar throw in the ogiri and pepper, and pound till smooth enough.
- Crumble up the fish
- Peel the yam and put it in a pot to cook.
1. Add the blended or mashed up garden egg into a clean pot and cook to dry up the water and keep aside.
2. Add the palm oil into a dry pot and heat up for 4 minutes and put in the chopped onions to fry for 5 minutes.
3. Put in the mashed garden egg, cover and cook for 7 minutes.
4. Put in the pepper, ogiri and add seasoning cube and salt to taste.
5. Add in the crumbled fish and leave to cook for 4 minutes and your garden egg sauce is ready.