Preparing Ghanian pepper sauce aka Shito
One of the pepper sauces that Ghana is widely renowned for is called shito.
It is consumed with several regional dishes and may be kept for a very long period.
Here is the recipe for the well-known pepper sauce from Ghana.
- Cooking oil
- 5 tablespoons powdered pepper
- 5 tablespoons powdered fish
- 3 tablespoons powdered shrimp
- 2 onion bulbs
- 1 sachet of tomato paste (optional)
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat
- Blend onions and stir for about 10-15 minutes, till the water evaporates a little
- Add powdered pepper and tomato paste and stir
- After about 10 minutes add fish powder and powdered shrimps and keep stirring
- Add salt to taste
- The mixture will turn brown after about 10 minutes. Leave to boil for a few more minutes
- Put out the fire and let it cool. You can dish it out into glass containers after a while.